01. The Marketplace
02. The Old Railway Station
03. The Fishery harbour
04. The Lifeboat Station
05. The Pilots' House
06. DSB houses
07. The Black GeoMuseum
07. The Local History Archive
08. The Gedser Church
09. The Customs Building
11. Gedser Hotel
12. DSB houses
14. Gedser Watertower
15. The Vicars' residence
16. Svinehave Moat - Getzore Castle
17. The nursing home 'Ny Strandbo'
18. Fire Station
20. The small boat harbour
21. 'The New Station'
22. Gedser Remise
The Old Grocery Farm
This guide is the internet version of the brochure 'Southfalster - Gedser' published in Danish and German paper versions.
All numbers on the map link to the describing text below - you may click on a specific number left to jump directly to the information about the place ...
This brochure was not published in English, and you may print this page to use for your tour ...
Gedser is a city with a short but lively history.
An almost wild west-like start shooting up overnight with the functions of a new border city, ferry harbour and railway station.
On these pages we show our visitors around and tell you something about the special buildings of our little city. They together witness about a community always open to support new initiatives.
Our tour begins at the marketplace.
It was the famous Danish industrial C.E Tietgen who on the 24th of May, 1884 got the concession on building the railway from Nykøbing Falster and the building of Gedser harbour. They should be finished on the 1st of June, 1886, and they were - a major achievements of these times! The railway has been adjusted and readjusted since then, but the first station building is still intact.
The fishery harbour was established inside a part of the ferry harbour, and was finished in 1968.
The first lifeboat station was built in 1925. The current station is one of the biggest and most modern of Europe and was finished 1992. The station covers the complete area around Lolland-Falster and the Baltic Sea to the south and east.
The pilot house with the spectacular tower was built 1906, but has today lost its function - but you can still find the pilot boats in the harbour. They sail the pilots out to the bigger ships needing help to navigate the narrow Danish waters of Oresund, Great Belt etc.
The many activities related to the railway and ferries to Germany has earlier demanded many employees at the DSB i Gedser (DSB = the Danish State Railway) and the company has in two periods built houses to attract more people. The first series was built in 1905 and the last the 40'ies - all houses are today private property.
Gedser was for the first years a city with an enormous growth, which can be seen by the building of schools. The first school was after only a couple of years too small, and another school had to be established 1905. This building housess today the Archive of Local History and 'The Black Museum' - an exciting little geological museum with local findings as well as fine guest exhibitions from around the world. Østersøskolen (the Baltic School) between Gedser and Gedesby built 1962 was later the primary school for the Southfalster communities of Gedser, Gedesby and Skelby until the end of the Millennium.
According to old legends you couldn't build a church in Gedser because a great flooding of the Baltic would destroy it as soon as it was finished. As the city was growing they started anyway on the church building in 1914. It was designed by the same architect who later built the big Church of Grundtvig in Copenhagen. The builders made sure that the Gedser church was NOT finished as the entrepreneur was asked not to put the last stone in place but leave the place for the last stone empty on a secret place in the building ... in this way the city fathers hoped the avoid the prophesy of the flooding!
From the start of the ferrying a customs station was needed on the harbour. The impressing customs building at the marketplace was taken into use in 1891 as residence for the custom officers and their families.
The growing city need a lot of daily groceries, and in style of the cooperatives of the late 19th and early 20th century people in the city took the initiative to establish a co-operative 'Brugsforening' (Users' Society store) in the city in February, 1907 and it is still the main grocery store of the city today.
Every railway city with pride has an inn, and Gedser is no exception. It is presumed to have started during the building of the harbour, station and railway before 1886 but the earliest evidence about the 'Gedser Inn' is on a map from from 1888, where it is placed where Gedser Hotel is today. The building has been rebuild and extended several times.
In Langgade (the main street) there is a house with the gable to the street and a namesign reading 'Dannebrog'. It was the first community meeting house and hotel (non-alcoholic). The period was short as the family Enoch bought the house in 1912 and made it into the winter quarters for the Circus Dannebrog. It also was the first movie theatre of Gedser, with the presentation of living pictures in the first days of the silent movies in the main room.
The water tower in Danmarksgade is renovated and open to the public. From the top you get a fine view of the city and harbour.
On Strandvej opposite the nursing home Strandbo we find the first school of Gedser situated. It was finished 1900, but first put to use the following year as the first school of Gedser. In 1926 it was rebuilt to function as a more suitable residence for the vicar of the Gedser, Gedesby and Skelby churches.
Just outside the city we find the Svinehave Moat with the few remainders of Getzore Castle. It was first mentioned in the middle age king Valdemar Sejr's Jordebog (book of property) 1231 - in the 16th century it was the place where the kingly family and other distinguished travelers were hosted while waiting for proper weather to sail across the Baltic from the harbour in Gedesby. It lost importance later in the century and was time after time taken down. Today we find only the remnants of the moat and the bank. Visitors are welcome to follow the route on the city map and visit the place.
(not in use) and
At the small boat harbour in Gedser we also find the first water land of Denmark finished in 1987 showing a dome height of 8,5 meters with 56 holiday houses around (not in use). In the area we also find two restaurants, tennis court etc.
The tour over Kroghage ends at the 'new' station. The Danish railways (DSB) opened 1903 the ferry route to Warnemünde in Germany (the route of 1886 was a steamship route to Rostock). For the new ferry route a station was needed with train access directly to the ferries.
Directly northwards we see the Gedser Remise - the 'garage' for the locomotives and where smaller repairs were made. The oldest part is from 1886, but it has been expanded over time to the big ring-remise of today. It is now owned by the Preservation Society and is now a railway museum where older un-restored items from private railways are exhibited. The big building is also a monument for the prime time of the city of Gedser.
Other buildings to see:
'The Old Grocery Farm'
Further information at:
Source: From the Gedser City Guide
Illustrations: Knud Lynge
Copyright © GedserNet