Edward Tesdorpf and Gedsergaard
Initially, most of Falster was from the middle age crown lands ie. owned by the king, unlike most of the rest of the country are mostly owned by the nobility. It was quite good for the ordinary population that consisted mostly of farmers, the situation of the King's peasants were much better than what the nobles offered their tenants.
But in 1766 there occurred is a big change for the entire Falster crown land was put up for auction, and the newly created Gedsergaard manor by Skelby was sold to the Lolland Count Holck-Winterfeldt. But the then minister of Skelby had bought some farms in Gedesby, which also the count wanted, so the stage was set for conflict when the count did not think that an ordinary priest had the right to own so much land. The Count tried to cancel the purchase, but was not allowed to do so by the Commissioners and after a few years the count gave up and sold to the priest.
After the priest's death took the energetic Councilor JC Friis over the estate. Until then, Gedser Odde been going as a large grassland that was used by Gedesby, Skelby, Fiskebæk, Stavreby and Gedsergård together for grazing - as all land in the area too far away from the village farms, or if the ground was too poor or too wet to provide a fair return. Grazing areas were not cleared of stones and was thus due to grazing a culture created landscape where cattle went under shepherds supervision, and when the animals way to eat on the screened in vegetation, came vegetation over time to consist of pungent, toxic or unpalatable species .
After the replacing (before that the village farms had used all lands, fields and grass lands together on an exchange basis) every farm in the area got its own solid ground, including the part of the grasslands. Since Friis's share of the grasslands was great, it was also enough land for him to create the new farm Frisenfeldt on Gedser Odde.
Orupgaard - or rather Orupgaards owner from 1839, the 22-year-old Edward Tesdorpf - has left deep traces in Sydfalsters history.
Orupgaard was established in 1766 by the merger of a number of small farms - acquired by grocery Chr Hincheldey as crown lands were put up for auction. The farm had several owners, was neglected and poor, when Edward Tesdorpf bought it and took off.
He created a model farm of international class and with an extensive experimentation - both with new breeds of cattle, plant breeding experiments and feeding studies. He also started a cattle export route to England - the ships took coal back to Denmark.
Locally, he was the pioneer in drainage of Boetoe Cove and planting of Boetoe plantation. He was the initiator of the establishment of cooperative Nykoebing Sugar Factory, he started using associations and health funds.
In 1847 he bought Gedsergaard manor and a few years later Boetoegaard including the southernmost lying large farms Ludvigsgave and Frisenfeldt. Everywhere he started streamlining and modernization of agriculture.
In 1888, the German-born, but Danish-minded Edward Tesdorpf was appointed Privy Councillor and became one of the nation's leading men. He got the Dannebrog Medal in 1889.
After Edward Tesdorpfs death the widow took over Gedsergaard, ceded it later to her youngest son Axel Tesdorpf until Ida Merete Tesdorpf took over the farm 1964, which today is owned by Alex Tesdorpf Unsgaard.
Tesdorpf family owns still Gedsergaard and Frisenfeldt, while Orupgaard is owned by another branch of the family Hoejgaard.
Boetoegaard was owned for many years by Count Mogens Kragh-Juel-Wind-Friis, but has recently been bought back by Alex Tesdorpf Unsgaard.
Gedsergaard total of 1173 hectares, including:
Frisenfeldt, Ludvigsgave, Boetoe Friskov, Boetoegaard, Gedsergaard forest and Holmegaard.
Address: Gammel Landevej 87, Skelby, 4874 Gedser
There will be no public access to Gedsergaard, please respect this!